Wednesday, September 5, 2012

The Accidental Dress

My plans for this project were to use McCall's 6331 to make the romper and make Tilly's picnic blanket skirt in the left over fabric. So I would be able to make my romper look like a dress if I wanted to. The inspiration for this romper was Jenny Lewis. I pinned my romper together and instead of looking super cool, I looked 5 years old. I bought the fabric a while ago when I didn't realize quilting cotton was inappropriate for clothes. The fit was pretty good so I may make it in a hot pink linen next summer.

It doesn't look too bad on the hanger but looked immature on me. So I made lemonade from lemons. I took the fabric that I cut for the skirt and cut a slit in the back and used it to make a skirt for the dress. I gathered it on the side because I think that looks better on me than gathers everywhere.
It gapes a bit on the side but I can live with that.
I did a machine zipper and hem on this. My machine zippers still need a little work since I usually insert them by hand. I haven't found a technique that works great for me yet.

11 comments :

Ali Hval said...

You fixed it up so well! Love the print that you chose. :)

True said...

awesomeness!


- True

InĂªs de Castro said...

It was a great decision, it looks amazing now :)

Marisa Noelle said...

That's a really clever fix - the print is adorable and I love the final result on you :)

Midwest Muse said...

Jenny Lewis is my fashion inspiration for EVERYTHING. That photo is so cute, I'm surprised it looked bad in real life, but you did make it stunning.

Annie said...

So cute - love the collar!

Annie
The Other Side of Gray

Katherine / Of Corgis and Cocktails said...

it turned out great - even if you didn't get it to be the romper. i love jenny lewis - and she is a great style inspiration

<3 katherine
of corgis and cocktails

Izzy said...

haha good work on fixing it up! looks great now :)

metallicpaws.blogspot.com

Heather said...

This turned out awesome! It's a great fixer upper :)

XO
www.pearlsandpaws.blogspot.com

LyddieGal said...

glad you found a way to salvage the project, and the now dress looks super cute.
Chic on the Cheap

Joyce said...

It looks great, love it!