Friday, September 9, 2011

The P Word

Petrifying and pants begin with the same letter,P. Is this a coincidence? I don't think so. I love them on others. I truly do. My fellow bloggers wear them so chicly. Audrey Hepburn wore pants even Lady Gaga wear them on occasion. If these iconic and stylish women can wear them then why do I think that pants don't work for me? Is it four years of wearing almost nothing but skirts and dresses? Possibly but, I love jumpsuits, the middle ground between my beloved dress and pants. Is it because my rainbow striped jumpsuit is kind of ridiculous? Maybe. Pants just have too many variables: length,crotch depth, making sure it fits in both the waist and hip, avoiding the dreaded camel toe and visible panty line. Then you have all the different styles: flare,boot-cut,skinny,wide leg, tapered.Don’t even get me started on how much jeggings confuse me! It is too much! Calculus is easier than finding a suitable pair of pants. I don't want jeans. I have two pairs: skinny jeans and really tight skinny jeans.I need pants. Trousers if you will.
Pants project an image of power and know-what-you-are-talking-about-ness. Yves Saint Laurent liberated women by putting them in pants. I’m liberated, I guess. I could wear pants;I guess I’m afraid. Of all the things I’m afraid of, pants are by far the silliest. I shouldn't be afraid of them.I loved pants as a child,actually, I really enjoyed knit cotton pants but they were pants nonetheless. I think pants made me feel tougher and less vulnerable. Now, I just rely on cynicism and sarcasm. I wear pants ever day to work because I have to. They happen to be the least flattering pants ever made. Turns out the word unisex is a fancy way of saying, “these are man pants but we will make them small enough for you to fit into.” The only plus side of man pants: big pockets.
This year will be the year for many things: going to Paris,finally finishing 1984 and finding a pair of pants for me.

18 comments :

CINCHED AT THE WAIST said...

ahhh i know exaaaactly what you mean. I'm pear shaped so i'm always avoiding pants, i like skinnies but trousers are soooo hard for me to find!!

great post,
Annina
check out our Chanel Blue Boy giveaway
http://www.cinchedatthewaist.com/2011/09/giveaway-sharing-my-addiction.html

Sam said...

i know what you mean. Pants aren't necessarily unflattering to me, I just find them uncomfortable sometimes...leggings are my pants and I don't care what anyone says! hahaha!


http://samalamode.blogspot.com

Ongoing giveaway!

Claire said...

gotta love a great pair of pants, even though they can be restricting and uncomfy at times. i really would like to extend my wardrobe to include some more colorful pants!

spinning-threads.blogspot.com

Couture Carrie said...

Hmmmm... not a fan of this particular look, but there are some pants that I find pretty!

xoxox,
CC

Francesca R said...

I love pants and I am not feeling comfy with skirts! What are you waiting for? Grab a nice pair of pants!
xx
http://dontcallmefashionblogger.blogspot.com/

Sara Szatmary said...

I feel ya sister. My pear shape will never look as good in pants as it does in a skirt. Period.

Laura said...

I had issues with pants for the longest time until I discovered the beauty of the wide leg and flared pant they really are the best on me and flatter my figure like no other. But I have to say pants are still sooo tricky.

the nyanzi report said...

if pants are worn on the right body shape, then it makes for some great results.

Rose-et-Violet said...

ditto on everything you said!
pants are a pain to shop for, i'm actually on the lookout for a nice pair of trousers too :)

by the way, thanks for visiting our blog!

-Rose

Elle Sees said...

i love pants but it does take a while to find ones that just fit me

Irina Lori said...

I like those pants!
And I know what you mean ;)

Katia said...

no way!! I'm the same.. I only wear pants to workout. Shorts, yes, but there's something about pants on me I just can't handle. AND lately I've been loving the style of pants on trend but I'm just too .. I don't know :s

bridechic said...

I'm a real pear unless I diet like crazy. That's when I can finally do the cigarette pants a la Audrey. I do find many styles chic though and feel I have at least some options . . .

Shea said...

I agree that pants are way more difficult to fit than skirts! But for me, I need pants every once in a while. But although I love jeans, I prefer skirts to slacks.

swellmayde said...

i am a jeans girl for sure... i always try trousers, but always feel a little too dressy for me. good luck finding your perfect pair! :)

xoxo, aimee
diy blog: swellmayde.com

meguire said...

i don't really like this look, i don't know why actually...

Vanessa said...

I never wear pants, either! But this inspiration is lovely.

alexandra.samarina said...

Hi dear!

Thanks for your comment! Love this post of yours! I'm still sure that pants can be a life savers. It's just a matter of finding a good one which suits your body shape

X

Alexandra

http://fashion-bridge.blogspot.com