Monday, September 19, 2011

New York Part 2

Art as inspiration is nothing new but Rodarte makes it interesting. At times the shapes were so interesting that I barely noticed the Van Gogh prints. I loved the nipped waist and cut-outs in unexpected areas. Rodarte always makes stellar knitwear and this time was no exception. Color blocked sweaters start as a cable weave at the top and change to a basket weave. It creates a cozy statement piece. While literal, a standout piece for me was the Starry Night dress. A pretty print makes the dress disheveled and neat all at once.
Jenny Packham feels very ethereal. Tons of texture from lace,embroidery and sequins. The collection swayed between two extremes: very decorated and simple. I preferred the decorated looks but, the simple pieces act as a nice palate cleanser between looks. I understand why Kate Middleton loves her. While some looks are provocative;they are always classy.
Jill stuart is tropical and girly. Shades of orange were prodominant in the begining and scallop hems kept things soft. Soft rolled collars topped double breasted jackets. A butter yellow one is a favorite of mine. She added texture with quilting and mixes of different fabrics.I can see this collection working on girly girls from coast to coast.
Western and Bollywood? Not a typical mix of inspirations but Thakoon made it work. It has the bold colors one associates with Bollywood but with a classic western style. At first, the looks seemed a bit clunky but as the collection continued the looks grew better and better. The prints are mixed with flare. The full skirts will be fun and flattering to wear. The idea of a sheer sari style top is interesting. I think it could be a light alternative to a spring scarf.
Christian Siriano really excels at mixing formal and casual. Pairing tees with long velvet skirts is unexpected. A lovely chartreuse ran through the collection in all kindsof fabric. A skirt with ruffles is my favorite look;I'm already planning a d.i.y inspired by it. He really lets his creative flag fly in evening wear. Even with ruffles,feathers and tulle everywhere it doesn't feel expected or forced.

17 comments :

Kelly-Ann said...

Great reviews - well written and highly observant :)

I love Thakoon. I've noticed a lot of people just can't get on board with that opinion but he doesn't seem to be able to do any wrong in my eyes.

Hannah said...

I haven't really looked at the NYFW collection yet but I love the Thakoon one


Bow Dream Nation xx

Leonie said...

Great review... Love the Jil Stuart collection.

First Fall Outfit… Velvet Details

em.me.ma said...

I love Jill Stuarts collection. it's so crisp and perfect yet cute!

Olivia said...

Rodarte really rocked my sock off- I love their Knits and Art as Inspiration never gets old for me- what can be better inspiration than a beautiful priceless piece of art.

Jacqueline said...

I ADORE Jenny Packham's designs :). I love your comments on all these new looks!

Winnie said...

I'm so glad you did this because I'm really not with it this season- it's always easier to keep up to date with London Fashion week I guess! I absolutely adore Jill Stuart's collection, the colours are so pretty and girly.

Rach said...

Love the Jill Stuart collection. Love the girly aspect of it
www.sugarfilledcloset.com

Helen said...

These were all so good! I especially love that Rodarte teal one shoulder dress... so dreamy :)

yuma said...

This NY collection was really fan!!and beautiful:)

xx

menina elegante said...

Just loving these photos! :) x

Sam said...

The third and fourth ones are my favourites.

LyddieGal said...

So many amazing looks, I'm totally drooling over christian's color pallet.

Chic on the Cheap

Helen said...

I'm loving all the colours for S/S

Danielle said...

So many beautiful things! :)

x

http://fandabbydozie.blogspot.com/

Zarna said...

all of these collections were so gorgeous!

Cafe Fashionista said...

Ooh, I am so loving Jill Stuart and Christian Siriano - gorgeous! :)