Tuesday, September 13, 2011

New York Fashion Week Part 1

It's fashion week in New York and I have been browsing it. Okay, stalking obsessively is more like it, I have a notebook. I'm going to talk about 5 collections I like so far. So far, next spring will be colorful and joyous.
While inspired by a nude photographer, Prabal Gurung looks lady like. I love the wilting flower prints. The way the prints and solids are laid out create a really flattering hourglass. The pants on a floral suit look like a Rorschach test. Fabric was used to add volume to shoulders and hems on printed dresses. A sheer dress with black detailing is a stand out look.
I would describe the Jenni Kayne collection as a fun country club; it is basic preppy pieces with some done in a colorful way. I'm picking up a Cher Horowitz vibe from how well it is coordinated. I adore the playful short suits and the wonderfully tailored jackets. The pink preppy skirt look is my favorite.
Gary Graham is fantastic a bit darker then I usually like. Tea stained coats and dresses provide some whimsy and old world charm. I like the way some of the sheers were handled:paired with something shorter underneath. It adds a bit of mystery.Graham has a great future ahead of him.
Cushnie et Ochs uses simple color palette: white,pink,yellow,tan and black. There were cut outs that made the little white dress sexy. Full leather skirts create a flirty and girly look. The gravity defying necklines interest me. A bright yellow skirt suit will make its wearer into a ray of sunshine.
Vivienne Tam,my absolute favorite so far, put on a great show. I want to wear everything she showed. The collection feels like a flower. I love the short suits. Her interesting prints give a nice spice to basic cigarette pants. Mixed prints make simple separates more exciting. A pink and orange look showcases an amazing color combination and some great texture.
What shows do you like so far?

22 comments :

Courtney Erin said...

Love your picks - I was also really fond of Jill Stuart.


xoxo ~ Courtney
http://sartorialsidelines.com

Jess said...

I loved the Jenni Kayne collection.

Isabel Spectre said...

I love the Gary Graham outfits! wowowow what a good collection!

Winnie said...

Oh wow, look at all the colour, it's all so, so pretty!

Amber Blue Bird said...

I love the direction that seems to be taking shape for next spring.

Rach said...

Love the Vivienne Tam!!!
www.sugarfilledcloset.com

Claire said...

i love what you've displayed. seriously i never get a chance to check out the various designers so it's nice to see on different blogs! thanks for sharing!

spinning-threads.blogspot.com

the nyanzi report said...

great picks and reviews. well done.

meguire said...

love the dresses in the 4th pic ♥

menina elegante said...

Vivenne Tam looks amazin!! :) x

Irina Lori said...

so pretty dresses! I like the first row so much!

Sara Szatmary said...

I feel like Vivienne Tam and I need to become besties!

Francesca R said...

I cam't tell......I love them all! I am lusting....
Xx
http://dontcallmefashionblogger.blogspot.com/

Bonnie said...

Gurung made my heart go pitter-patter. I just adore everything.

http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
Twitter: @GlamKitten88

Vanessa said...

Tam rocked it out! It's by far one of my faves, too. I loved ODLR as well.

Ana said...

I haven't had much time to follow the fashion week, but I like what I'm seeing here. The purple looks at Prabal Gurung are lovely, and the second look from Jenni Kayne - with the orange tailored pants and white knit short-sleeve top - is perfect! I might just have to start collecting pieces now for what might become my new "spring uniform" :)

Emily, Ruby Slipper Journeys said...

I also love the Vivien Tam (bah, can't spell anything today). Like you, I appreciate a light-hearted dose of colour!

$200 jewelry giveaway at my blog!

Hello Naka said...

i love the 1st dress :3 i like your picks :)

Marie McGrath (The Joy of Fashion) said...

These are great pics! I love the colors and patterns!

www.thejoyoffashion.blogspot.com

Zarna said...

loving all of these looks - SO chic.

Elle Sees said...

so many good things to choose from here! i cant think about spring yet.

bridechic said...

Gary Graham is my fave. . . . Very nice post and I know what you mean by obsessively following fashion.