Tuesday, June 14, 2011

McQueen

Alexander McQueen is know for theatrics but, he also made beautiful clothes. He was a trained tailor. His clothes are dramatic,romantic,dark,and tough. McQueen is my favorite designer. It was said that,"if he had nothing he would still create." He put so much beauty in the world and these are my favorite looksFall 2006
I love that this look draws back to McQueen's Scottish heritage. He was very passionate about his ancestry; he says that," The reason I’m patriotic about Scotland is because I think it’s been dealt a really hard hand. It’s marketed the world over as . . . haggis . . . bagpipes. But no one ever puts anything back into it.” I also love the asymmetrical bustline and the floral underlay. This is a romantic and tough look. It really exemplifies the McQueen woman.Spring 2010
One of McQueen's strengths was contrast. This piece shows it perfectly; the jersey dress and tailored coat. I love the print of this coat-dress.

Fall 2009

I like the way different sizes of the same print were used. I also really like the shape of it.

Fall 2010

This is from his final collection. I love the way it flares out at the hips. The heavily embroidered center is my favorite part of this dress.

Spring 2006
Saying that this dress is dramatic and beautiful is an understatement. In my mind, the antlers are just a fraction of what makes this dress lovely. The lace work is so stunning. The way it cascades on the skirt is masterful. This is such an amazing dress.

Spring 2001

This collection was dark. The presentation was like a hospital. I love the contrast between the microscope slides and the feathers. The slides were dyed red to suggest blood. I love the back of this dress. The racer back and feathers work so well together. It has a high neck which is one of McQueen's signatures. He says,"There’s blood beneath every layer of skin."

Spring 2003

This collection was the story of a shipwreck. I love this dress. It has layers of organza. They are arranged perfectly. I love how the dress looks disheveled and like it is falling off of the body. The dress is called the oyster dress and the bottom of the dress looks like a oyster shell.

Spring 2010
Everything about this look is perfect. She's a modern day underwater siren. I love the shape of the skirt. It has perfect folds. I'm also so in love with the shoes.

Fall 2008

Fall 2008 was such a magical collection. The story behind it was wonderful; a girl who emerges from a tree to meet a prince and become queen. This dress is wonderful because it's covered in sultry red feathers. I adore feathers. The back is spectacular too. It turns into a frothy confection.

Spring 2007

I remember seeing this dress in a Harper's Bazaar editorial and I thought it was the most beautiful dress I had ever seen. I love the real flowers and the Victorianness of the high collar. This is such an amazing piece. I was always into fashion but this was the dress that made me realize clothes could be art too. This was the dress that made me fall in love with Alexander McQueen.

27 comments :

Hannah said...

i love seeing all the old mcqueen dresses, they really are amazing creations


Bow Dream Nation xx

viviane / hippiebohoreloaded. said...

hope, kate will wear a vintage mcqueen on her wedding day :)

Andrea said...

gorgeous! mc queen is one of my fav <3

Courtney Erin said...

I've always been mesmerized by the genius behind Highland Rape and Plato's Atlantis - the historicist aspect alone is astonishing!

xoxo ~ Courtney
http://sartorialsidelines.blogspot.com

Closet Fashionista said...

LOVE Alexander...it is just so sad that he is gone now... :(
http://www.closet-fashionista.com/

Zarna said...

mcqueen was SO talented!

le sorelle said...

This is such a great post - I would love to visit the McQueen exhibit sometime soon! To see these gorgeous pieces in person would be a real treat :)

-j
sorelle in style

Couture Carrie said...

I worship McQueen.
Gorgeous post, darling ~ very well edited!

xoxox,
CC

then she'll carelessly cut you said...

Too many wonderful collections to even talk about - the floral dress will forever stick with me too,

Rosie x

Lena said...

I'm in love with all collections of McQueen.!

Cafe Fashionista said...

I do love that dress from Spring of 2007. What a stunner! :)

Pretty Marshmallow said...

yeah! really dramatic but creative :)

MyStyle said...

Hi there-yes, he was such a talented designer and this is a wonderful tribute post, thanks for sharing x

Gertrude said...

Such amazing and original pieces!

Ariel Maile Adkins said...

McQueen was truly a genius. The Met exhibition is mindblowing!

Fashion Cappuccino said...

There are no words to describe how I feel after looking at these dresses! xoxoxoo

Claire said...

seriously he was a genius. i love the feathers, the plaid and those flowers the best!!! so amazing!

spinning-threads.blogspot.com

Strawberry Freckleface said...

Love the clothes but also really love the hair!

strawberry freckleface

Absolutely Mrs. K said...

what a talented man! what more can i say!

LyddieGal said...

McQueen's looks continually amaze me!

Chic on the Cheap

Meagan said...

These are all so beautiful but I think my favorite it the one with the antlers from spring '06. He had a way of making clothes ethereal and enchanted, like the clothes have a story to tell.
-Meagan
http://spunkychateau.blogspot.com

yiqin; said...

i love his collections.

GretchTM said...

These are so unique!

Josie said...

I LOVE McQueen What a talent.
xo Josie
www.winksmilestyle.com

jamie-lee said...

spring 2003 has me speechless

Imogen said...

I love the red dress second from the bottom.

rebecca said...

it's so difficult to pick my favourite collection by him, but i think the "highland rape" collection just had something special about it...

http://itscohen.blogspot.com/