Thursday, May 26, 2011

Simplicity 2602

My final project in sewing class (that I actually didn't get to finish in sewing class because it ended two days ago) is a sheath dress from 1958, Simplicity 2602. I meant to show it to my teacher but I got out earlier than expected and didn't want to interupt her class.My inspiration was this photo of Christina Hendricks as Joan Holloway. I really wanted a pencil dress. It isn't a pencil dress but I still like it. I used a hot pink cotton from Jo-Ann. The dress feels very casual but it is cute. I got so many,"Where did you get that?" comments. I feel like it really need the belt.I learned and practiced some new techniques that you can see some of below:

  • Tracing the pattern
  • Tailor tacks - I love them, they mark just as accurately and much more visible than a tracing wheel.
  • Hand picked zipper

I'm in love with the zipper I thought of adding pearls to it but the ones I had on hand were too big. All in all, I'm happy with the dress. I love the v-back and the little kick-pleat.

I do wish it was a pencil dress, so over the summer I may make a Joan-inspired pencil dress.

17 comments :

Courtney Erin said...

Love this - the color and shape are great!

xoxo ~ Courtney
http://sartorialsidelines.blogspot.com

Couture Carrie said...

OMG it is amazing!
Love the inspiration and the final product.
And yes the kick pleat is perfection!

xoxox,
CC

The Blushing Fox said...

Great outfit post dear, i like it so much!!! It looks so so dainty <3

xoxo,

www.theblushingfox.com

jamie-lee said...

Wow it looks like it came out pretty well, and I love the colour x

Claire said...

oh my goodness, i love this! you did such a great job with the cut, and color! seriously, that's amazing you did this!

spinning-threads.blogspot.com

Josie said...

You look adorable -- you did such a fantastic job with this, doll!
xo Josie
www.winksmilestyle.com

styleforlife said...

Its fabulous! xx

Closet Fashionista said...

Oooh love it!! :D The color is so pretty
http://www.closet-fashionista.com/

Fashion Cappuccino said...

Very cute dress! They're so modest but very sophisticated! xoxoxoo

Oh my Dior! said...

I love your dress is so beautiful i am following you on twitter please follow back :)

http://www.ohmydior.org/

Chelsea Talks Smack said...

YESSSS, I absolutely love this era.

Laura said...

Very pretty dress the color is fantastic!!!! You did a really awesome job with it =)

wardrobeexperience said...

totally in love with pink. this dress is just adoraBLE1

http://wardrobexperience.blogspot.com

Pretty Things said...

great job - love the colour, very jealous of your skills

http://blogoftheprettythings.blogspot.com/

xxx

Molly O said...

love your dress! so classy!

Rose Petals in the Rain said...

Such a pretty dress. The colour of it is lovely :) I wouldn't be able to sew to save myself.

KIRAFASHION said...

gorgeous in pink, love the color :)))