Sunday, May 29, 2011

Reflections

jump
On Friday I completed my last day of high school, I realized I changed a lot in the past for years both personally and in my style. I didn't cry like many of my friends I'm not sure why. Maybe I'm heartless or maybe I know that high school was just the beginning of the adventure of my life. No more waking up at 6 and occasionally having something thrown at me but, also no more birthday cakes in math, lovingly said empty threats from my English teacher, and drama club. The last few months have been a roller coaster with AP tests, finals, my last few moments with my drama club. I realized that after graduation and the subsequent graduation parties I'm not going to see most of these people again. And while I hope that me and my friends will stay close, I know we will slowly drift apart next year.

Personally I've grown. Ninth grade I got picked on; sometimes I would go with home and cry.Then, I found a wonderful group of friends who always support me. Surprisingly at the start of high school I was shy and awkward. I still am but, I've gotten a bit bolder. I feel like Lady Gaga has been a big part of that but that's another post. I've learned to let criticism slide off. In addition to knowledge, I've learned patience. My last semester I was the peer buddy for the special education department. I've never met a better group of people. Always caring and nice.


My style has evolved too.I used to just throw things on but now I think about it for a little bit. I used to get picked on for the way I dressed. My parents solution to this taking me Hollister, I refused. I grew Now, they support my love of fashion. My stepdad is the person who has picked out my favorite dresses, my feather prom dress and my rainbow Diane Von Furstenburg. The kids at my school enjoy the way I dress too, well most, I have had milk thrown at me twice this year. Thanks to high school I found a hobby I love: Sewing. Most of my office is devoted to sewing there are machines,fabric and patterns everywhere.

These past four years have been great but I'm excited to see where I'm going next.

11 comments :

ashford said...

Awwww . . . I can't believe they threw milk at you. That is unreal and INSANE! Anyway, keep on doing what you do; it's the only way to live happily.

Imogen said...

Congratulations on finishing high school. I think your outlook is very positive. There are so many opportunities you have now. I remember finishing school so well I think about it heaps. Its interesting to look back at what has happened since then.

Claire said...

that's a good attitude! high school can be trying. even those who seem secure in high school are insecure. and honestly, this is the beginning of your life. enjoy it because you have so much potential, so many possibilities. it's a great time, you can be anything! Congratulations on finishing high school (and so sorry you had some tough experiences)

Claire @
spinning-threads.blogspot.com

Couture Carrie said...

beautiful post, darling!
Congrats and best wishes!

xoxox,
CC

Ellinor Forje said...

I love the Mad Men inspired header. I love this black and white photo. Thanks for sharing and feel free to drop by me too, soon.

Cheers.

Stef / Diversions said...

Such an exciting change.
I found highschool (equivalent) was the most difficult time of my life, but also very educational (and I don't mean the classes, although those two of course :D)

It sounds like you are taking away a lot from the place. All the best for the future!

By the way: Both your turquoise and yellow outfit and your pink dress look great :) The kick pleat is awesome :D

LyddieGal said...

I'm glad to hear you've grown, and aren't stuck in the idea that highschool is some kind of ending.

I dont miss the days when you weren't cool if the word 'abercrombie' wasn't displayed across your chest!

Chic on the Cheap

Raquel said...

Congratulations dear!
I was a bit like you when I started high school and then finished with much more confidence, but I know that university made me grow even more!
I wish you the very best, you have a great attitude!

Artfully Awear said...

Congratulations! Every experience is a learning experience :)

Cafe Fashionista said...

Congratulations on graduating, Jess! What an incredible accomplishment! :)

The Seeker said...

Congratulations on finishing high school. Best wishes!!!!!

xoxo