Sunday, March 6, 2011

Sweater Guards

Today I'm going to show you how to make a vintage inspired sweater guard using old earrings. Sweater guards are a vintage accessory to keep your cardigans from blowing away. They went out of style but I think they should be brought back. This is a really quick and easy project.And you may have a lot of the materials on hand.
Materials: 2 jump rings,chain,2 post style earrings,2 pins, pliers,hot glue gun, small fabric or ribbon(optional).
Step 1 - Using the pliers take the pointy part off of the back of the earring. On one earring I managed to get it all the way off. On the second there was a little stub left,that's okay. I placed a small dot of hot glue and a tiny piece of fabric over it so it didn't hurt me or my cardigan. You can see it better in the next picture. Step 2 - Glue the pin to the back of the earring. I don't like the way hot glue looks so I covered it with a small strip of fabric. Step 3- Attach a jump ring to one end of your chain. Then place it on the pin bar. It will move around.
Step 4- In front of a mirror determine how much chain you want. I used about 10 inches. Then cut you chain and attach a jump ring. Place the other end on your pin and wear.
Step 5- Feel accomplished.
This isn't a traditional sweater guard because the chain is removable. That is better because you could make a ton of earring pin and just switch the chain. You could also make a few kinds of chains and maybe add beads. You could also use an old necklace as your chain.
I hope you try this out. If you have any question you can leave them in the comments.

35 comments:

viviane said...

what a great itea, looks really cute on you :)

Stef / Diversions said...

Great tut :) I've been meaning to make my own - sweater guards are an awesome accessory. ♥

ChiccaStyle said...

Great idea honey!!!
http://chiccastyle.blogspot.com/

Courtney Erin said...

What a neat idea!

xoxo ~ Courtney
http://sartorialsidelines.blogspot.com

Cat said...

What a great tutorial! Love how yours turned out...they look fantastic with your yellow cardi :)

Engreida said...

Brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! http://engreidadesigns.blogspot.com/

Couture Carrie said...

Fabulous DIY, darling!

xoxox,
CC

Raquel said...

what an amazing idea! this is lovely :)

Closet Fashionista said...

Oooooh fun! Great DIY as usual
http://www.closet-fashionista.com

Winnie said...

Such a cute idea! Love the tutorial.

Annebeth said...

I need to make me one like this, it looks awesome! great DIY!!

Cylia said...

this makes me think I should do more DIY!:) thanks for sharing.

em.me.ma said...

wha t a brilliant idea;love that yellow too!!

Michal said...

This is such a great tutorial!! I bookmarked it right away & I can't wait to try it soon. I definitely think sweater guards should come back in style- they're so cute! ~ Michal

PS Thanks a million for your comment on my blog!!

Vanessa said...

Clever! I love it, and I love the sweater guards! Definitely reminds me of Glee's Emma Pillsburry!

audrey marie said...

what a cute cute idea!

Josie said...

This is too cute! Love it.
xo Josie
http://winksmilestyle.blogspot.com

Fashion Cappuccino said...

This is such a great DIY idea! I have a couple of cardigans and I will try it out! It will come handy when I wear them out on a windy day! xoxoxoo

MyStyle said...

Hi Jess-what a fabulous idea and it really looks so stylish too, well done indeed! Have a nice week ahead my dear xx

Stevia said...

how very creative of you!
and I love the green on yellow
genius!


<3
http://escapesweetest.blogspot.com/

Fiamma said...

great idea! Thanks for sharing :)

xoXo
Plami

http://fashion-thrill.blogspot.com/

Rebecca Clairine said...

great idea !
u looks cute :D

xoxo,
Rebecca
http://rebeccaclch.blogspot.com

Cafe Fashionista said...

Ah, these are so incredibly adorable! You are too creative for words!! :)

Lynn said...

Looks cute! X.

Mallory said...

that is SUCH a cute idea :) love it

mallory

whitwatwear

Ana said...

I love how this project turned out! I might try it myself too, since cardigans are some of the most frequent pieces in my wardrobe...I think Emma Pillsbury from Glee brought them back already! :P

Imogen said...

I love this idea and it turned out so well. I would like to try it for sure.

Lisa said...

omg that is ingenius!! so cute on you!

E said...

I have a cape sweater that I've been meaning to update in this manner - genius idea!

LyddieGal said...

how cute!! just like emma pilsbury from Glee :)

Chic on the Cheap

SabinePsynopsis said...

That's a really nice idea. I can imagine that in many variations...

BABI said...

nice tutorial! looks great! :-)

http://whenbabispeaks.blogspot.com

Morgan said...

OH MY GOODNESS! I am so in love with this I have got to make some or 20 of my own! Thanks for the great tutorial girlie!

Meet Virginia Design

CINCHED AT THE WAIST said...

love the sweater guard! very Emma from Glee, too cute!

great post,
Annina
www.cinchedatthewaist.com

cellulite cream said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.