Wednesday, January 26, 2011

It may be too early for this

It may be early but I've already started thinking of my prom dress. Gowns during award season will do that to you I guess.I'm under no grand delusion that prom will be the best night ever; I know that will be the Lady Gaga concert. I'm not shopping for it until March.
I know that I am not making my dress because that you only get one shot and if it doesn't fit or get done in time, you're screwed. I also don't have fabulous fabric stores in my reach. And as any mathematician can tell you an equation with too many unknown variables is bad. I have a list of things I like in a dress.

I was watching the Golden Globes with the friend I'm going dress shopping with and when Olivia Wilde came on the screen I said,"I want that." I love it because it has a big skirt and sparkles. I adore sparkles.
I've seen Black Swan twice now and I love this dress. I love the subtle rhinestone and the tulle. Don't like that it is white.
I like this because it is a ton of different colors and the bottom has a really interesting texture.
So things I like in a dress are:
Sparkles or texture
Big skirt- they are also practical because they are easier to dance in than a tight skirt

16 comments :

Leigh said...

i love love love natalie portman's dress in black swan!!!!! that would be a great prom dress inspiration.

thelibertybelleblog.blogspot.com

Courtney Erin said...

I loved the Black Swan dress - but it would be pretty in a nude or even a beige shade.

xoxo ~ Courtney
http://sartorialsidelines.blogspot.com

LyddieGal said...

I would have killed to wear olivia wilde's dress to my prom. ahhhaha.

i hope you find the gown of your dreams!

Chic on the Cheap

Francesca said...

yes black swan is a great source for inspiration. i find the first dress a bit too ice princess-ish though, even though the sparkles are lovely

F. (opinionslave.blogspot.com) x

Rebecca Lau said...

love the dresses on your post, especially the image from black swan

sammi-lise ^_^ said...

funny thing, i was just looking up dresses for prom last night (instead of studying for midterms)

natalie portman's dress is my ideal long prom dress,although my dream prom dress is this marchesa lovely:

http://www.net-a-porter.com/product/108427

and i agree about the black swan dress, if it were in a plum color it would have won me over completely...or even in a pale pink. anything but white.

good luck with your search!

Fashion Cappuccino said...

I definitely love sparkles! I love your idea; if I were to choose, I would choose a mini dress that has a flowing skirt :-) xoxoxoxo Oh, and lots of sparkles too!

jada and jon said...

love the costumes in that movie. amazing.

if you love vintage clothing and I think you just might, you should come check out our website! we add new stuff each week!

www.lalalandvintageclothing.com
www.avintagelovestory.com

xx

yiqin; said...

the first gown is really stunning <3

Dressing Up For Me said...

That blue gown is abosulutely magical! I can have that Ă¡ la cocktail dress too. ;)

She's Dressing Up said...

Oh my, Olivia's dress is stunning!

Lilly of the Valley said...

All those dresses are stunning and yes, I totally fell in love with the black swan dress, I think it would look beautiful in black, its very 1930's elegance. cute blog btw, I really like your style. x

VĂ¢niaMoure said...

black swan is such an amazing movie and that dress is p e r f e c t.
xx

Jazzy E (hivennn) said...

It's never too early! Go nude, sparkly and big or the opposite. x hivennn. p.s enter my jeffrey campbell giveaway?

Beth said...

The first dress is gorgeous. I say go all out with a big skirt and sparkles.

Winnie said...

Oh I'm so excited for you and finding out what sort of dress you'll end up getting for prom. Loved Natalie Portman's dress too. I guess white isn't that suitable for a prom...but it worked so well in the film. So classic!