Monday, August 23, 2010

Butterick 6582

I made a dress for my birthday party last Saturday. I used Butterick 6582.
This dress has been a long time in the making. I bought this pattern more than a year ago on sale The fabric was a Tommy Hilfiger sheet I got at the thrift store a bit more than a year ago. I didn't know what I wanted to do with the pattern or the fabric until the pattern was on my desk and the fabric was behind me and it just CLICKED. However, It does need a belt.
I cut the pattern out and that went smoothly. I started assembling the dress. It used sew in interfacing which I had never used before but it wasn't difficult. I started putting the top together and disliked it. When I was understitching the facing I was afraid I was going to sew my finger. When I turned the fabric right side out it was rumply, A friend texted me at this point and asked me what i was up to I replied I'm yelling obscenities at a piece a leopard fabric. I like the neckline. Its a faux wrap. And I really like the gathered shoulders.


After I put the back facing in it told me slip stitch the facing to the zipper tape. And I was all what zipper?!?! At this point I decided to do it my way. Which was pretty much the way the pattern wanted you to I just made up the order. I told my friend I didn't hate purple leopard dress anymore. I put in the zipper by hand because I couldn't get it right with the machine. I also thought my thread color stood out too much. I finished it last Saturday morning so I could wear it to my birthday party. I wanted to hem it by hand but that morning I was like no time for that. So I may take out the stitching and do it by hand later.



But I really like the dress now. I don't know if I would make the dress again but the pencil one with shoulder bows is very tempting. And it moves very well.

15 comments :

Caroline said...

It looks like you did a great job to me!! Happy birthday by the way, hope you had a great time :D
xxxxxxxxx

Courtney Erin said...

I love it! You look great and I hope you had a fantastic birthday.

xoxo ~ Courtney
http://sartorialsidelines.blogspot.com

MarchMusings said...

I've been trying to finish a skirt off a Simplicity pattern for a few months. So I salute you for completing a whole dress. You are the best and the dress is so pretty too

Marlena said...

I love it!

minnja said...

I love the photos and your sweet dress!

http://minnja.blogspot.com/

Noble Beeyotch said...

You should totally start your own fashion line and sell on etsy. Your work is gorgeous!

Belated Happy birthday!

Lovers, Saints & Sailors said...

Major props to you for making such a fantastic dress! It looks wonderful and it would feel great to be wearing something that you made for your special day.
Nice work.

t said...

Nice dress! Good job!

http://initialed.blogspot.com

Stéphanie said...

FABULOUS !
Happy birthday dear !

Cafe Fashionista said...

You are such a wonderful seamstress, darling! I love the aesthetic of this dress; and the material you chose is perfection!! :)

Melissa~ said...

lovely!!
You're really talented.

thanks for your comment!

à la Modest said...

I wish I could so as well :)

Jade "Purple" Brown said...

it turned out great!

jadepurplebrown.blogspot.com

Frankie said...

That is such a beautiful dress! Hope you had a lovely birthday!

Ariella said...

That's gorgeous! I envy you for being able to make a dress that looks so great. I really like the cut of it.